Hi there! HAPPY Fridayyyyy :D
I hope you've had a good AND productive week! I don't know about you but this week went by at lightning speed!! Are you doing anything fun this weekend?! My plan is to go to Costco, watch some Netflix, and follow-up on some material for an upcoming fitness class! BRING ON the weekend!!
Today's post is all about AVOCADOS! I LUV the feel and taste of the incredibly nutritious, green, pear shaped fruit!!
The following is some information (from Prevention Magazine) that you just may not know AND a yummy dinner recipe!
- Research suggests that the monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) found in avocados help melt stubborn belly fat! Yes, this is the fat that burns fat, and keep it off!!
- Avocados are 1 of the best sources of lutein, an antioxidant that promotes eye health and helps stave off macular degeneration.
- A diet rich in avocados MUFAs may boost memory and prevent mental decline.
- A recent study found that swapping foods high in saturated fat for 1 avocado a day cut bad cholesterol by 13 points.
- Studies show that MUFA-rich diets help regulate blood sugar levels just as effectively as conventional low-fat diets, reducing diabetes risk.
Are you surprised by ANY of the information above?! I learn something new every day!! No wonder I LUV avocados :D
KEEP READING! Turn dinner into a velvety meal without butter or cream!! OHHH! SOOO GOOD!!
AVOCADO, PROSCIUTTO, AND SEASONAL VEGETABLE PASTA
Prepare 1/2 lb whole wheat spaghetti per package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup water. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 thin slices prosciutto and cook until crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate. Add 2 cloves garlic, sliced, to skillet and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1 small zucchini, diced; kernels from 1 ear corn (about 3/4 cup); 1 red bell pepper, diced; and 2 scallions, chopped, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. In bowl of food processor, puree 1 large avocado, 1/4 cup pasta water, and 4 tsp lemon juice until smooth. Add remaining 1/4 cup water if necessary and season with salt and pepper. In skillet, toss veggies, pasta, and avocado puree. Serve with crumbled prosciutto and fresh basil.
NUTRITION (per serving) 367 cal, 13 g pro, 56 g carb, 12 g fiber, 6 g sugars, 13 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 496 mg sodium.
* Avocado Ripeness Check...
Pull the little stem on top: If it comes off easily and you see green underneath, it's a go!
If you see brown, it's overripe!
Stem won't budge? Wait a day!
If you happen to make this recipe, I'd LUV to hear your comments! BRING ON the pasta :D
Have a FAB weekend!
See you on Monday!!
Pamela Stewart, NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Weight Loss Specialist