Hello! HAPPY Thursday!!
How's your week going? How are your goals coming along? Are the goals you're working on realistic?! I'm asking because someone I know made a comment and got me thinking that sometimes the expectations we have of ourselves are highly driven by what we see in the media. Each of us are different. Our expectations and GOALS should be based on "how we feel" and not so much on "what we see." Set goals that'll help you feel more confident, healthy, and strong about yourself. For example: I'm 51 years old and my skin is getting thinner as I age. Instead of striving to look as thin as someone walking down the runway, I work on looking fit and healthy. I feel more confident with some weight under my skin...lol! This is a good example of how everyone's different. Each of us are built differently. So...make sure that your goals are realistic and you're doing it to make yourself happy. Don't focus too much about what you see in the media...instead work harder, eat better, and feel happier! It's only Thursday, so lets keep going and finish this week going strong!!
Today's post is all about Body-Weight Training. I absolutely LOVE doing body-weight training with clients! The moves require NO equipment and you can do them almost anywhere!! Which means...NO EXCUSES...lol! Body-weight moves will knock off the pounds, shake up your routine, and improve your body! Not only do body-weight moves tone and blast calories, they'll also build the lean muscle your metabolism needs to stay active during the other 23 hours of the day. Sounds great to me :D
The following are 7 moves that you can do for a fast and crazy workout or throw 1 or 2 into whatever workout you're doing for the day. Lets do this! Feel the burn baby!!
I previously did a post on this love to hate move...lol! Work it and no muscle is left idle during a burpee. You work your shoulders, back, chest, arms, abs, glutes, quads, hamstrings, and calves. How does that sound?! :D
Do 3 sets of 12.
2. SQUAT JACK
This supercharged version of a jumping jack sculpts your butt, thighs, shoulders, chest, and abs. This move is a heart pumping plyometric but with less impact then a lot of other explosive moves.
Go for 1 minute, rest for 30 seconds. Do this 3 times.
3. SPEED SKATER LUNGE
The skater provides BIG burn. You activate all of your posterior muscles.
Give it all you have for 20 seconds then rest for 10 seconds. Do 8 to 10 times.
4. HIGH-KNEES SPRINT
Run in place as fast as you can, pulling your knees up as high as you can. Don't let your arms just swing. Pump them with all the power you have. This will help you pull your knees higher and activate upper-body muscles, turning this move into a total body all-in-one workout.
Do 5 rounds of 30 second sets.
5. JUMP-SWITCH LUNGE
This move tones the heck out of your abs, butt, and legs. Yes, please :D If you swing your arms overhead, it works your shoulders, arms, and lower back too.
Do 6 to 8 sets for 30 seconds.
6. PLYO PUSH-UP
This move is a tough one...lol! Make your push-up fly and you'll bring on the benefits. Before you try, make sure you can do 3 to 5 classic push-ups. When doing this move, bend your elbows slightly when you land to absorb some of the impact.
Shoot for 2 to 3 sets of 3 to 6 reps.
7. PILATES TEASER
As far as abs moves go, not many beat the teaser for calorie burn. You're pulling your upper body off the floor. If you weigh 130 pounds, you're lifting 65 pounds with your abs. Bring it on :D
Try doing 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps.
If you don't know how to do a body-weight move, you can google it online. There's plenty of sites that'll walk you thru the exercise :)
Weights and machines definitely have their place, but you can reap incredible benefits with body-weight moves. Keep reading and maybe you'll gain more then a bad-a** shape ;)
- As I mentioned before, it can be done almost anywhere. Body-weight training is a NO EXCUSE way of exercising! No need to join a gym if you can't afford it!! The workouts don't cost you a penny!!!
- There's no waiting game with body-weight exercises. When you train with weights and machines, you often have to adjust the weight during your workout and that takes time. Or...when working out at a gym, you often have to wait for machines to open up or for other people to finish with the weights you need.
- Some of the best exercises for slimming down and toning up are body-weight moves. The best way to do body-weight exercises for maximum fat burning is to use alternating set formats with minimal rest between movements.
- Body-weight moves builds balance and prevents injury. It builds a well-balanced body where the muscles on the front of you are in proportion with those on your backside.
- Want hotter abs?! Of course you do...lol!!! You can sculpt them while watching TV in your living room. Every key body-weight exercise is extremely core intensive and targets your abs way more then the barbell or machine alternatives.
- Do you think that you need to pump iron to build muscle? You can get super strong and toned without doing any heavy lifting!! All you need is a few movements that activate all the right muscles ;)
- There's no denying the instant gratification that comes with using heavier weights in the gym. However, you can use body-weight exercises to get the same level of satisfaction and more. With body-weight moves, you're always striving to perform more advanced skills. There are loads of ways to design workouts using these same exercises based on your goals! The options are endless!!
If you have ANY questions OR suggestions, leave it in the comments section and I'll get right back to you.
If you want a late week challenge...try a few (or all) of the body-weight moves listed in this post! Some are tough BUT so dang rewarding!! :D
I'll be posting again on Monday! Be sure to check back in!!
Pamela Stewart, NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Weight Loss Specialist