HELLO there! HAPPY HAPPY Monday :D
How are you?! Did you have a good week and weekend?! I just got back from a mini vacation with my older daughter! We had an AHHHSOME time!! I'm also ready to get back into a normal routine and fuel up with loads of exercises and healthy food! BRING FIT ON!!
Exercise And Burn Calories Like A Kid...is today's post! Sometimes kids can be the best personal trainers :D
I currently have 3 kids living at home :) All my kids enjoy playing sports! My middle daughter likes to play multiple sports at 1 time!! Currently she's fit and toned because of the strength training she has been doing, especially this summer! She likes to switch up the sports she participates in, so it keeps her life fun and challenging!! We can learn A LOT about exercising by watching kids of all ages...rather it's at a practice, game, or playing on a playground. Kids LUV to have fun and most of the time their moves are incredibly effective! KEEP READING and find out how you can be fitter with a little FUN playground inspiration!!
If you don't have kids...NO worries! The following are 5 things the average 5th grader can teach you about fitness!! You got this :D
1. Be a wiggleworm. "Kids are spontaneously moving all the time. We did an experiment where we tried to have kids stand still in the lab and they literally couldn't do it," says Mayo Clinic Researcher James Levine, M.D. Constant motion burns major calories. Scientists discovered that obese people tend to sit, while lean ones spend their days fidgeting, tapping their feet, doing anything but just plopping down in a chair. The difference translates into about 350 calories a day, which can help you drop a size in a year. DON'T BE SHY! Sitters: Stand up, shift around, pace!! Repeat ;)
2. Just because it's tough doesn't mean you can't do it. "Kids are much more likely then adults to challenge their bodies," says Pamela Peeke, M.D., an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore. "They always want to go farther, faster, higher, which ultimately improves their physical fitness level." If you've been doing the same neighborhood walk for years, step out of your comfort zone a little! Hoof it up a hill or try intervals, and if that feels like a struggle, it means you're getting somewhere!!
3. Your body is your best piece of fitness equipment. When kids goof around on the monkey bars, they're building serious muscle! That's because exercises that use your own body as resistance--like pull-ups, push-ups, and walking lunges--require lifting more then half of your total body weight, according to exercise physiologist Pete McCall. The payoff: Especially after age 40, muscle mass and metabolism begin to decline, and strength moves using a lot of weight (meaning, no offense, you) will keep you capable and slim!
4. Take it outside. Scientists will tell you that people who exercise outdoors enjoy it more and report better mood and higher energy levels then those who workout indoors. Kids will tell you that it's bright, open, and liberating...the opposite of a sweat smelling gym...lol! Of course, you know that my favorite place to workout is at the beach :D
5. Buddy up. Whether they're kicking a ball around or skipping rope, kids rarely exercise alone. Pals make fitness feel like a party! Wooo Whooo!!
Now that you've read this, steal a kid (someone you know...lol) and switch up your workout! It's a FUN way to get in some good exercises, get your heart rate up, burn calories, build strength, and feel younger...all incredibly FITastic! So what are you waiting for?! MIX IT UP :D
Have a PRODUCTIVE day!
SEE YOU back here on Wednesday!!
Pamela Stewart, NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Weight Loss Specialist