I hope you had a great weekend! We had some much needed rain so it was laid back at my house but I did do some cardio and ate clean! Woot Woot :D
Did you do the formula I provided on Friday?! If you have ANY questions or need help with it, let me know and I'll be happy to help! Did you write down everything you ate (INCLUDING the calories) this weekend?! Did you decide to cut back on anything? Are you still deciding...lol?! Remember we're working towards progress not perfection :D
Do you have your notebook/journal handy? Super! Lets get busy!!
The following are LOADS of tips from Dr. Oz on eating healthy AND weight loss. I like to switch up whom I get tips from because we can learn from many professionals! I use many of these tips in my life and so next to some of the tips, I included my own feedback.
1. Plan your meals ahead of time. That way you're less likely to make an unhealthy last-minute food choice.
Pamela: OMGosh...SOOO true! I have a busy family and this saves me many runs to McDonalds!!
2. Oats are a good thing! Eating a cup of oatmeal in the morning will prevent you from gorging in the afternoon.
3. Food with healthy fats such as olives, salmon, and walnuts help you feel satisfied.
4. Skipping meals can cause your body to go into a fat-storing starvation mode, making it harder to burn calories.
5. Go nuts with nuts! Eating a handful of nuts will help you stay full.
6. Don't confuse thirst with hunger. Drink a glass of water when you're hungry to see if that's what you're really craving.
Pamela: We should be drinking PLENTY of water daily!! I'd much rather drink water then pack on extra calories!
7. Tired of eating your salad on a plate? Fill a whole wheat pita with salad and a splash of lemon for a twist.
8. Create snack packs filled with healthy foods such as nuts, fruits, or vegetables to help avoid unhealthy temptations.
9. Add red pepper flakes to your pantry. When eaten early in the day, red pepper lowers the amount of food you'll eat later.
10. Don't feel comfortable cooking fish? Canned salmon is a simple and affordable alternative.
11. A healthy dinner should fit on a 9-inch plate.
Pamela: I try and live this tip everyday :D
12. Eating liquid-based foods such as natural smoothies and low-sodium soup can help you cut back on calories yet feel full.
13. Natural applesauce is an excellent dip for fruits.
Pamela: I also like the added texture applesauce gives.
14. Use a vegetable bean dip such as hummus instead of ranch dressing or a fatty cream-based dip.
15. Pass on soda! You'll be amazed by how much weight you drop by simply switching to water!
Pamela: I can't express enough how VERY VERY VERY true this is! For many of us, soda is liquid gold...lol...but it does put weight ON!!
16. Beware of "fat-free" or "zero trans fats" foods as you could be trading fats for huge amounts of sugar or sodium.
17. Sugarless gum can suppress your appetite.
Pamela: When I feel the slightest urge to snack, I get out my gum! I always have gum on me...lol!
18. Try to have a little lean protein with each meal, as protein tends to be more satisfying then carbs or fats.
19. Avoid junk food. If you want to avoid temptation, clean out the fridge and pantry.
Pamela: This is a tough tip for many of us...lol! BUT if junk food is out of sight then it's easier to avoid!!
20. Eat fruits and vegetables that are in season.
Pamela: Fruits are to die for when they're in season and the juices run down your arm and you look like a kid with candy :D
We have read HALF of the tips...grab a water bottle or a piece of gum and keep reading! Woot Woot!!
21. People who eat breakfast have a better shot at losing and maintaining weight loss.
Pamela: DON'T skip breakfast ;)
22. Check food labels and avoid anything with more then 4 grams of sugar, especially high-fructose corn syrup, per serving.
23. Eat an apple before a meal to help you feel full faster.
Pamela: This REALLY works! I don't do it often but if I'm going to eat something I love, this tip helps me to avoid another serving!
24. A Mediterranean diet not only comes with heart benefits, studies show it leads to more weight loss then low-fat diets.
25. Replace regular pasta noodles with whole wheat pasta for a more filling meal.
Pamela: Whole wheat pasta taste FABULOUS!
26. Beans are an affordable and healthy alternative to meats.
27. Try a plain Greek yogurt with frozen berries.
28. If you must microwave, consider soy chicken patties, veggie burgers, or steamer vegetables and brown rice.
29. Save 85 calories just by swapping mustard for mayonnaise in a sandwich.
Pamela: Bring it on :D
30. Try a pasta-less spaghetti by mixing shredded zucchini, veggie meatballs, and raw tomato sauce seasoned with a dash of zesty oregano.
31. Fresh herbs can really zing up a healthy meal.
32. If you're trying to lose weight with a partner, pack each other's lunches. The lunchbox surprises will keep the both of you motivated.
Pamela: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this tip!
33. If you're eating out, make salad the appetizer.
34. Try baking apple slices as a healthy alternative to potato chips.
35. Avocados can be your secret weight loss partner. They're high in fiber and healthy fats, giving you a meaty-tasting meat alternative.
36. Unsalted pumpkin seeds make a healthy mid-day snack. They're rich in magnesium, which helps lower blood pressure.
37. Store bought salad dressing can be packed with calories. Make your own vinaigrette and store it in a small spray bottle to coat your greens.
38. Ditch the mayo, cheese, and top bun if you want to scrape off 250 calories from a restaurant sandwich.
Pamela: The food server may look at you funny...lol...but that's 250 less calories! Bring it on!!
39. Freeze grapes for some bite-size delights.
Pamela: These are SOOOOOOOO yummy :D
40. Get a popsicle mold and freeze some Greek yogurt with berries.
I like tips that work in my busy lifestyle! These tips are simple and easy to follow! Not every tip will work for every person so I challenge you to pick 10 - 20 tips to try. Write the tips down in your notebook/journal and make them your goals!
Refer back to the quote I have at the top of this post! I love it!!
Do you have any good tips you would like to share?! Please comment!!
I'd love to hear what has worked for you :)
Have a great Monday!
See you on Wednesday!!
Pamela Stewart, NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Weight Loss Specialist