Hello there!! HAPPY Fridayyyyy :D
How's your day going so far?! Are you ready for the weekend?! I'm finally back on a normal routine after being in Hawaii...lol! I'm exercising at crack of dawn and my eating habits are back on the right track!! Wooo Whooo :D This weekend I plan to keep eating great, rev up on a few new workouts, and blast thru some cardio! Sounds like a FITastic weekend to me...lol!! BRING IT ON!!!
Today's post are 2 recipes. The first recipe is a delicious Chilled Carrot Soup! October is an AWESOME time of year to start making soup, but because the weather is still warmish outside, a "chilled" soup is perfect!! And...it's Friday, so don't forget to check out the Orange and Apricot Smoothie at the bottom of this post! If you have a binder or recipe box...print these recipes!! You won't be disappointed ;)
CHILLED CARROT SOUP WITH SWEET PEA CUBES
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 3 hours
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch rounds
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups carrot juice
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Pea shoots for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a blender, mix buttermilk and peas; process until smooth. Fill each section of an ice cube tray or a mini-muffin pan halfway with mixture. Freeze until solid, 1 to 2 hours.
2. In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium high. Add shallots and saute for 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrots and stir to combine. Sprinkle with cumin and coriander and stir to coat. Add stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until carrots are softened.
3. Carefully transfer mixture to a blender. Add carrot juice, lemon juice, ginger, and salt and blend until smooth. Allow to cool slightly, then refrigerate until completely chilled.
4. Remove soup from refrigerator 10 minutes before serving. Divide, with cubes, among 4 soup bowls, garnish with pea shoots, and season with pepper.
Nutrition score per serving: 254 calories, 8 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 41 g carbs, 7 g protein, 9 g fiber, 774 mg sodium.
ORANGE AND APRICOT SMOOTHIE
Sorry...no photo! I took 1 but it got deleted by mistake!!
8 tablespoons of orange juice
- This recipe makes 2 portions.
- For a more refreshing smoothie, blend some crushed ice in with the other ingredients.
- This smoothie is brimming with antioxidants...it's GREAT for energy, immunity, and skin!!!
Nutrients: Beta-carotene, folic acid, vitamins B1, B3, B5, and C; calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur.
Have a GREAT weekend!
SEE YOU right back here on Monday!!
Pamela Stewart, NASM Certified Personal Trainer and Weight Loss Specialist